Monday, September 26, 2011

UPDATE - Is this the Facebook, er, World we want?

Earlier this afternoon, I posted my concerns about the Facebook privacy changes.  They are really confusing, and if we happen to be friended on Facebook, you can read my pal Dan Notov's running commentary as he tries to figure out how to make a completely clean public Fb wall.

Because that's what the wall used to be - completely blank unless you specifically set it to let others see it.  


That's what we suppose it still is unless we go to some special profile edit page and use a button that lets us see what the Public sees when they look at our wall.  I'll ask Dan to come back to the blog and put his findings up when he's figured it all out.

So, knowing this is all in Dan's good hands - he's a computer geek - I decided to do something else.  I have a bunch of open windows - Google Chrome Browser, by the way - and I thought I'd see what I'd parked till after I finished today's grading, and then close them down.

Well, the first thing I noticed is that the ads on every single page were very predictable.  They all, without exception, had the two shoe ads you can see on this blog.  If you know me well, you know I love to be outdoors.  Because of the heat, I prefer sport sandals over any closed shoe, even though, as my friends like to point out to me, I'm more likely to take a pebble than if my foot is closed into a lace-up shoe with socks.  I also narrow down the selection by looking for shoes that have a toe guard, which basically means the sole wraps up in front and creates a bumper for my toes.

As you can see, someone, aka Google, has been taking stock of my preferences, and putting pics of the two pairs of shoes I spent the most time looking at right in front of my face.

No, I did't buy them...yet.  But these photos sure are tempting me.

What's all this have to do with Facebook?  Well, nothing yet.  But I'm wondering just how much more privacy Google+ really provides.  It is a Google network, and John likes it because it is tied into other Google applications.  If Google Chrome tracks me like this, what's to say Google+ doesn't follow me around the web too?  I'll have to see if John will explain all this.

If you have any info, please jump in...

No comments:

Post a Comment